In 1985, Belcarra Handball Alley was renovated and re-named Belcarra Sports Centre to facilitate all kinds of sports within the Belcarra community. This was renovated under an AnCo scheme, a scheme which preceded FÁS. In 1985 the open handball alley was crowned with a galvanised corrugated roof and basic dressing rooms were erected to the rear. Over the last 26 years this Sports Centre continued to be a great asset to young and old in the community. Belcarra Handball Club is currently one of the leading clubs in the West of Ireland with a growing membership of young people and volunteer coaches.
In 2004 as the building had deteriorated it was decided to upgrade the centre. Plans were drawn up to replace the facility which would include a full size handball court and facilitate other sports including Racquetball and Badminton. Following this an application was made by the Sports Centre Committee to the Department of Arts, Sports and Tourism for funding. The application was successful and the committee was sanctioned for a grant of €200,000 in 2007. During this time fundraising was ongoing to meet the shortfall. The building of the new Sports Centre started in January, 2012 and the project was completed in December, 2012. This will be a great asset to our community for young and old.
Belcarra Community Co-op and Belcarra Community Council also gave generous donations to the project. We also wish to acknowledge generous donations from the former Provest of Trinity College Mr Tom Mitchell and to Mr Martin Naughton, Glen Dimplex (both of whom has connection with the area).
The new Sports Centre was officially opened in April 2013.
Our first newsletter (PDF) is available for download here.
Contact any of the Committee members:
David Cunningham (Tel: 086 231 1907)
Mary Jo Cannon (Tel: 087 928 2102)
Cliona Ni Mhurchu (Tel: 086 6807442).